Ben is a full-service Estate Law practitioner, who handles Estate Planning, Estate Administration, Estate Litigation and Elder Law. Ben’s field of practice, in large part, focuses on the legal needs of individuals and their family members when planning for their own estates, and/or transitioning through the loss or incapacity of a loved one. It is a practice area that Ben finds both intellectually stimulating and also rewarding in that he is able to guide his clients through major life changes and truly tough times.
Since 2010, Ben has drafted countless Estate Plans and administered and settled hundreds of Estates and Trusts. In 2013 Ben joined BPE Law’s accomplished team of litigators and his acumen in Pre-trial litigation, Law in Motion Practice, Business Law, and Real Property Law were all refined.
Ben’s legal career began shortly after he moved to California from Pennsylvania in 2009. Around that time, he acquired a Paralegal credential which allowed him to work full-time in the fields of Estate Law and Probate Litigation by day, and to earn his Juris Doctor from Lincoln Law School of Sacramento by night. Also during law school, Ben began and now continues post-graduate Gerontology and Elder Advocacy studies. As well, he was trained as a Long-Term Care Ombudsman inspecting Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Board and Care facilities, and Skilled Nursing Facilities.
Ben’s Estate Law experience, Ombudsman training, and background in Gerontology and Elder Advocacy allows him to provide his clients with valuable and unique insights into all things related to aging in California.
Primary Practice Areas Include:
– Wills/Trusts and Estate Planning
– Elder Law
– Estate and Trust Administrations
– Probate and Trust Litigation
– Financial Elder Abuse
In Court, Ben has represented the interests of Executors, Administrators, Beneficiaries/Heirs, Conservators, Property Owners, and Creditors in various stages of litigation. Some Litigation Examples Include:
– Successfully representing Personal Representatives Petitioning for, and Opposing Removal;
– Litigating for and against Proponents and Opponents in Will Contests;
– Litigating Ownership Interests in complex Partition and Accounting suits over Inherited Real Property;
– Representing Trustees in Heggstad Petitions to Transfer Property, using Probate Code §§ 850 and 17200, et seq.;
– Successfully representing Conservators in Conservatorship Proceedings;
– Obtaining Orders Granting Petitions for Substituted Judgments in Conservatorship proceedings;
– Litigating with Heirs in Petitions to Determine Entitlement to Estate Distributions;
– Successfully Defending and Objecting to Fiduciary Accountings;
– Litigating Petitions to Surcharge Personal Representatives, and Obtaining Surcharge Order;
– Litigating Petitions for Removal and Suspension of Powers;
– Successfully Litigating Disputes over Modular Homes Permanently Affixed to Real Property; and,
– Defending Beneficiaries in Elder Abuse Litigation, and Petitions to Modify Trust.
Elder Advocacy Outside the Office:
Ben advocates for California’s aging population by serving on the Placer County Older Adult Advisory Commission where he advises the County Board of Supervisors and the Department of Health and Human Services on matters relating to aging residents of Placer County. As well, he has served on the Agency on Aging, Area IV as an Advisory Council member which is the principal advocate body in our region for our aging population. Ben’s role included sitting on the Joint Evaluations Committee, and reviewing the performances of all businesses and entities in the Area receiving large grants for Senior Services. Most recently, as a Community Educator, Ben lectured on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association of Northern California and Northern Nevada at the Roseville Police Department.
– American Bar Association
– California Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section
– Placer County Bar Association, Estate Planning & Probate Section
– American River College, Legal Assisting Advisory Committee
– Placer County Older Adult Advisory Commission
– American River College, Gerontology Guest Lecturer
– American River College, Paralegal Studies Guest Lecturer
– MTI College, Paralegal Studies Guest Lecturer
– The Courte at Citrus Heights, Validation Therapy
– Precinct Judge, Placer County Elections Office
– Alzheimer’s Association – Northern California and Northern Nevada, Community Educator
In his free time, Ben enjoys boating, climbing 14,000 ft. summits in the Sierra Nevada (most recently Mt. Whitney the tallest mountain in the continental United States), scuba diving along California’s coastline, traveling, sampling the grape all over the West Coast, and spending time with his fiancé.